How to Use Halloween to Increase Attendance at Your Church
Here is a simple and inexpensive way to invite a lots of people to visit your church this fall. Create a flyer that lists everything going on related to children’s ministry and ask members to give it to their trick or treaters along with candy. That’s it. It does not have to be anything fancy. Something put together with your word processing program and run on a copier will work.
What makes it so effective?
- First very few churches are doing this so you won’t be cluttering up the kid’s trick or treat bags.
- Every parent will look at it as they go though their kid’s candy
- The cost is cheap. You are not paying postage and there is no requirement on the kind of paper it needs to be printed on
- The number of children that you can reach can be significant. As an example suppose you have 100 members who are willing to hand out flyers and on average they give out 20. You just invited 2,000 kids to your church! How many times a year do you reach this many kids outside the church? Plug in your own numbers to see how many children you can potentially reach.
If you decide to try it here are a few suggestions to make your flyer as effective as possible.
- Make the heading as powerful as you can. Write several potential headings and ask people to tell you which they like best. Remember to write it based on a parent who has young children and is NOT presently going to church. This is who will receive most of the flyers. If your heading is not strong they will pitch it. You have about 2 seconds to capture their attention so keep it short and powerful.
- Highlight or emphasize key points. This could be benefits or things the children might be interested in at church.
- If your church has a preschool or after-school program include this information. They may not be ready to visit your church but may be interested in your preschool or after-school program.
- Make the flyer kid friendly and keep it short. I recommend a half page which is 5.5 x 8.5. If you are printing in color use bright colors.
- Include a couple testimonials from members with children. This can be the most powerful thing on the flyer. Include their pictures if possible.
- Include the church website and if you have a video with reasons parents should take their children to your church include that.
- Add a QR code on your flyer. Over 50% of smart phones are now equipped with a QR code reader. If your video is on YouTube then it is probably already mobile enabled. I recommend sending them to webpage that includes a video. You can create a QR code for free at this site.
- Review the flyer for the following: spelling, readability, persuasion to take action, and that it is written from a non church member standpoint.
- Remember you are not selling. You want people to read the flyer and say: “wow I want to check this church out. My kids and I could benefit from becoming involved there.”
You’ll find this to be an effective way use Halloween to increase attendance at your church. If you have any other ideas or suggestions, post them in the comment section.